Importing a Hierarchical Org Chart is the simple process of importing a well-structured CSV file (indicating reporting relationships) into Organimi. The result of the import, is an automatically generated Org Chart!
Before you start importing:
- Ensure you have created an Organization. Click here to learn how to create an Organization.
- Prepare a CSV file. Click here to learn how to create a properly structured CSV file from Excel.
- To import a Hierarchical Org Chart, the CSV file must have the first 3 columns listed with the order ID, First Name, Last Name, and also, must contain an ID and Boss ID column which outlines the reporting relationships based on the ID's. The Boss ID for the top most role (i.e. CEO) must be left blank.
Sample of a CSV file with ID and Boss ID columns:
To Import a Hierarchical Org Chart from CSV File Format:
- Click on the IMPORT icon at the top left of the screen.
- Under the Import Team List tab, select Org Chart in Step b.
- In step c. click Choose File. Navigate to the file, and then double-click the csv file to select it.
- For step d. Select the column names…, the fields may automatically pre-fill detecting the column headings within your file. If they don't pre-fill click the - Select a column - drop-down that appears to choose an existing column name contained within the CSV file.
Note: You may not type a manual entry into the fields in step d.
- Click the green Begin Import button at the bottom.
- When the file has been uploaded, a pop up box will appear with the number of members found in the CSV file. If it looks correct, click OK.
- Once the file is uploaded, the org chart will automatically be created and an Import Successful! message appears. To view the org chart, click on View Organization Charts.
Note: You can also click on "Org Charts" in the left navigation pane to view an org chart.
- The org chart generated will be named "Import" with the date and time the CSV file was imported. Click here to learn how to rename your imported org chart.
- For a detailed sample CSV file with assigned ID and Boss ID, download the file below. You can use the file as a template for your own organization. Just enter your own data following the conventions and format in the sample file.
- The column names are case-sensitive, so make sure the column names that you enter on the File Import screen matches the column names on your CSV file.
Here's a quick video: