Creating an Org Chart by importing data is the simple process of importing a well-structured Excel or CSV file (indicating reporting relationships) into Organimi. The result of the import is an automatically generated Org Chart!
Here's a quick video:
Before you start importing:
- Prepare an Excel or Excel CSV file. Click here to learn how to create a properly structured CSV file from Excel.
- To create a Hierarchical Org Chart by import, the Excel / CSV file must have the first 3 columns listed with the order ID, First Name, Last Name, and also, must contain an ID and Boss ID column which outlines the reporting relationships based on the ID's. The Boss ID for the topmost role (i.e. CEO) must be left blank.
A sample of a CSV file with ID and Boss ID columns:
To Create an Org Chart by Importing an Excel or CSV file:
- After you have created a free account and logged in for the first time at https://v5.organimi.com/login, you are prompted with tips on how to get started. At your first- time login, you can click Import Existing Data at the Welcome screen.
If it's not your first login, you can click the desired Organization at the left, then click the Bulk Import button.
- Click the middle option Roster + Chart displayed below, then click Next.
- Drag the Excel or CSV file onto the Drag and Drop gray tile, or click the gray tile to navigate to the file, then double-click to select it.
[Note: Or, if you are importing a CSV file containing special characters/symbols with encoding to accommodate this, then choose "Select file encoding >>ISO-8859-1" shown below.]
- Review and select all Column names that match the corresponding field data names. Click Next.
If you have added additional columns to your Excel/.csv file, these are detected.
You are then asked if you wish to add them as custom fields:
Click Add Fields Now to accept.
The Review New Fields to Add dialog appears.
Click the wheel to the right to choose the settings.
Choose the settings for the field:
Choose the desired field type, i.e. Text for importing text, Numbers if you are importing a numbers column, etc. Change the Field Type to Tags, if the field you are importing is a custom tag field. A custom tag field can be used to display multiple variables, i.e. Skills: SQL:Python:Sharepoint. In the csv/Excel file cell containing the skill, if there is more than one skill, ensure each skill is separated by a colon (see below).
Proceed to select the desired options, such as does this custom field apply to the Member/Person or the Role (Job), then click Save Field. Click Add Now.
- Review the data that appears:
- Click Finish.
Your org chart appears with a confirmation message at the bottom of the screen in black:
The org chart generated will be named "Import" with the date and time the Excel / CSV file was imported.
Click the Format Chart button (A), then +Add More Fields to enable the display of custom fields and tag fields in your chart.
To update your chart and member information:
Modify the Excel or CSV file, then import it again, choosing the "Overwrite Existing" option from the drop-down.
To learn more about custom fields click here.
Note: If you prefer to create an org chart one box at a time, entering the names / titles (roles) yourself, then click here for instructions.
- For a detailed sample Excel / CSV file with assigned ID and Boss ID, download the file below. You can use the file as a template for your own organization. Just enter your own data following the conventions and format in the sample file.
Here's a quick video: