NOTE: Before proceeding to build an org chart, you need to have completed the steps of (1) Creating an Organization, and also (2) Adding Members to an Organization Roster. Or, alternatively complete (1) Creating an Organization, and advance directly to Creating a Chart by Importing Data which may save you time by auto-generating the org chart.
Organimi org charts are role-based, so you can set up the role structure and assign the members to the role.
To Build an Org Chart Manually:
- After you have just created an account and logged in for the first time at www.organimi.com, you are prompted with a How do you want to get started? screen.
- Choose Manually Build an Org Chart.
- Choose one of the three options available: Start as a Blank Chart, Start w Small Template, or Start w Large Template.
To start with a blank chart, click the orange Create First Role button that appears.
Select the desired Role Type, i.e. Single.
Enter the Role Title in the New Role dialog box, then start typing the name of the member to add.
If a matching name is found in the roster, the field tries to autocomplete the rest of the name (click the suggested name if it's correct). If you are typing a new name (not in the roster), then click the orange New button that appears to add the name to the roster. (See below)
Click the blue Save button to add the new role box to the org chart.
To create the person reporting to your first role, hover over the role that you just created, and you will see a + sign at the bottom of the box. Click on the + sign to add a subordinate.
Tip: If you have names entered into your roster, ensure that you can see your roster by clicking on the Organimi button at the left.
Then drag roster members from the left roster panel to the edge of the role box in your org chart to add more roles. Fill in any required information relating to the role. This will save you time building your org chart.
- Once you have more than one role created, the subsequent roles will allow you to allow "colleagues" to the left or right of the role in addition to "subordinates" below.
- Continue to add roles as necessary to complete your org chart.
Here's a quick video:
- For an explanation of the various role types, see the "Using Different Role Types in Organimi" section of the v5 help articles.
- Only one (1) Org Chart is supported for free subscriptions. To create more than one org chart, please upgrade your account by clicking your name at the top right, then click My Account/Profile, Modify License/Plan at the left.
- Should you wish to start over with your free account, you can do so by deleting your org chart.
- You can also create a spreadsheet of your member roster with a Reports To or Boss ID field and import a Hierarchical Org Chart, which will automatically produce your org structure for you (saving you from performing the steps in this section: (3) Building an Org Chart). Click here for more details on how to import a hierarchical org chart.